Below is a list of the most popular projects in Squeak. There is also a larger list available on SqueakSource.
- Monticello is a packaging system for Squeak (similar to CVS and Store for VisualWorks)
- SqueakMap is a world-wide catalog of packages developed in Squeak
- SqueakSource is the Squeak SourceForge that supports distributed development
Differences between the above explained in this posting
- SUnit Tests are Unit Testing controls built-in to the environment.
- Refactoring Browser is a powerful Smalltalk Browser which allows the programmer to perform various automated refactorings on Smalltalk source code such as renaming variables and methods
- Magma is an implementation of an OODB (object oriented database) in Smalltalk
- Squeakland is the main access point for Squeak and education
- Etoy is a powerful script-based environment to learn sciences and maths
- Scratch is a new programmable toolkit that enables kids to create their own games, animated stories, and interactive art -- and share their creations with one another over the Net. Scratch builds on the tradition of Logo and LEGO/Logo, but takes advantage of new computational ideas to make it easier to get started with programming (lowering the floor) and extend the range of what kids can create and learn (raising the ceiling).
- ComiKit is a toolkit for children that uses a visual programming language based on comic strips. With ComiKit you can create interactive games and stories featuring animated characters. ComiKit is a result of research on visual programming at Linköping University.
Web Application Development
- Seaside is a framework for developing sophisticated dynamic web applications by using Continuations and a URL code to preserve application state on the code stack, even across different browsers, dramatically easing the complexity of web application development.
- AIDA/Web is web application framework and server for complex web applications with REST-like Urls and MVC separation of domain model from presentation and with integrated user/security management.
Innovative New Media and New Interfaces
- Morphic is a direct-manipulation User Interface (UI) construction kit based on display trees. It works with graphical objects called Morphs. It replaces the original Model View Controller graphics toolkit of Smalltalk-80.
- wxSqueak is a Squeak interface to the wxWidgets GUI library, meaning that a platform's native GUI widgets are used.
- Quoth is a dynamic, interactive fiction system with an eye toward musical livecoding
- ODECo is an easy tool kit for making 2-D & 3-D dynamics simulation based on ODE http://www.ode.org, a physics motion simulator (download the SqueakFest '04 image for windows and linux for the 2D simulation)
- NetMorph is a visual mobile agent system. In the environment, network-enabled morphs (art, media, and/or widgets) can move freely across the World (desktops of various networked computers) to lead to new kinds of collaboration.
- Weather On Display is in many ways the finest weather instrument available today. From sensors at your site, local weather information is processed and displayed in an intuitive and accurate manner. If you watch the weather, you will love Weather On Display.
- Open Agument. Created in the 1960's by Dr. Douglas Engelbart and his imaginative team at Stanford Research Labs (SRI), Augment is one of the most groundbreaking and important historical artifacts of the software industry. Many of today's desktop and network computing innovations can be traced back to the original Augment system.
Bleeding Edge Projects
- Traits is a project to add Aspect Oriented attributes (or Mix-ins) to Smalltalk
- BabyUML is a laboratory to explore new programming disciplines that simplify and twist UML and other constructs to demonstrate how they help bridge the gap between programmer and the objects running in the computer focusing on the run time objects; the classes that specify them are moved to the background
- Spoon is a project to create applications from a tiny, minimal core that dynamically grows its class library as the classes are used
- Exupery is a project to improve Bytecode compilation and execution