The list of features in Squeak is astonishing. What would, in other environments, be third party extensions downloadable elsewhere comes fully integrated in the standard Squeak release. Click on the links below to take a short tour of a small part of SqueakVille...
Smalltalk, the language, is:
- Dynamically Typed
- Strongly Typed
- Garbage Collected
- Purely Object-Oriented
- Open Source
Some features of Squeak
- Squeak's virtual machine is developed using Squeak itself. It is possible to execute and debug Squeak inside Squeak!
- Squeak can be used for Web Application Development.
- See the Croquet project and Balloon for examples of Interactive 3D in Squeak!
- Squeak has superb multi-media potential!
- Squeak is internationalised! It supports Unicode and Localization for multi-lingual applications.
- Squeak is a persistent environment - when you save your image, every thing right down to the position of windows and text is saved.
- Squeak itself is an IDE. You can code, run and debug in the same environment.
- Squeak uses incremental compiling - once you've saved your code, it's ready to run!